Monday, January 23, 2017

Outlook on 2017

A BRIEFING OF 2016
By the end of 2016, I had accomplished a few goals that I, honestly, made up on the fly. I went running with a friend on New Year's Day last year and decided, "I'm going to run further this year. Maybe I'll try a marathon." This kind of set the basis of the rest of the year's running endeavors. I knew that distance was going to be my new forte, so I quit track (which I slightly regret, admittedly), took on a regimen of running far and fast, and throwing some trails into the system. I loved it!

In February, I took on my first real distance race - and trail race - at Louisville's Lovin' the Hills. After this race, I found that this community of runners (the group that likes to run 100 miles for fun) was one that I wanted to be part of. So I continued to meet people of the sport and learn as much as I could. I took on and finished my first marathon, played in the mountains of Colorado, and tackled my first ultramarathon (50 miles) and Tunnel Hill. You can read about these in my other blog posts if you want. 

For a number of reasons, I was able to consider 2016 a relatively successful year for starting my endeavors as a "real" distance runner. But I don't want to think of it in such a light. I like to look at where I failed, what I did wrong, why I failed, who beat me, what I lacked, when I was ignorant, when I set myself up for failure. Why? Because without failure, how does a 19 year old kid know when to slow down (or speed up, for that matter)? I trained myself for the first time in my running career, and I believe that I messed up. I threw away a lot of potential.

Mistake number one regards injury prevention. As an invincible young man, I knew that I was capable of doing whatever I wanted and the injuries that plague all other runners would not even be of consideration for me... Boy, did I learn a lesson. I've never been more stricken with injury in my life! If it wasn't one thing, it was sure to be another. Knees, toes, TOENAILS, feet, ankles, wisdom teeth (not my fault), migraines, preventable sickness, and the latest - hip flexors. Why did all of these injuries occur? Because I pushed the limits to the point limits should not be pushed. I do not want to dwell on the failures, as that year is gone, and the only direction I have to go is forward and up.


SO ON TO 2017

This year will be a year of more discoveries, failures, setbacks, triumphs, and adventure. I do not mean these things in a cliche context. I legitimately am seeking to discover a new gear, a new level of determination for this year. I have a schedule lined up, as well as a coach to help push me AND hold me back. I need to adopt to a routine by which I can build and grow, developing over time into an elite runner - that's the goal, anyway.

Some quick running goals I'd like to mention include:

Running every day
Running a 100 mile
Qualifying for Boston and Western States
Winning an ultra
Running 100 mile weeks
STAYING INJURY FREE!!!
Going vegetarian


Tentative Schedule:

Feb. 4         LLTH (15 mile)

April 29       KDF Marathon
April 30       Backside Trail Marathon

Aug. 19       Backyard Classic (8 hour)

Oct. 7          The Hennepin Hundred (100 mile/50 mile)  * Maybe

Nov. 11       Tunnel Hill (100 mile/50 mile)


I would be failing in my role on this planet if I did not emphasize my primary motivation for all of this. As a devoted Christian, I run with the primary goal of praising God and using my talents and passions to share the gospel. I am committing, not only this year, but the remainder of my career to this mission with the end goal of assurance that I fulfilled, to the best of my ability, the Great Commission.

As a young runner with a growing network of friends in this sport, I feel that my influence will continually increase as I advocate the development of distance running as a means of adventure, discovery, and improvement of one's standard of life. I want to raise awareness for social problems and environmental problems, serving as a voice for those God has called us to assist. The ultra community is exactly that - a community. I am proud to be a part of it.

If you'd like to contact me to talk about running, life, or anything at all, please email me at isaacmitchell97@yahoo.com . Be sure to follow me on IG @isaacmitchell14 for more updates throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment